After the Eagles’ traded up to grab USC’s Matt Barkley in the fourth round of the draft, the quarterback picture got much fuzzier in Philadelphia. Paul Domowitch of Philadelphia Daily News released his projected week one starting lineup, where he pegged Nick Foles as the starter. Of course, Chip Kelly insists that he will hold an open competition at the position, so no projection at this point is anything more than conjecture.
I don’t see Foles starting many games in 2013. Chip Kelly coached against both Nick Foles and Matt Barkley and knows what they are capable of. If he thought Foles was a viable long-term solution at quarterback, he would have no reason to draft Barkley. The Eagles aren’t hurting for depth at the position, so Barkley is probably more than a developmental prospect. I strongly suspect that Kelly prefers Barkley to Foles, and while I think he will give Michael Vick the first crack at the starting job, the hand-picked rookie – not Andy Reid’s guy – will be waiting in the wings.
Any of the three quarterbacks could emerge in training camp, though, so keep your seat belt fastened.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Eagles Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Eagles Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Philadelphia Eagles news.
- Eagles Bring Back Wide Out Markus Wheaton, Place TE Richard Rodgers on IR on
- Report: Eagles Chatting with a Couple High Profile Free Agent Running Backs on
- Pass Rusher Connor Barwin Wants Back with the Eagles in 2019 on
- Miles Sanders the Feature Back in 2019 for the Eagles? Not So Fast on
- Report: Huge Deal Coming for QB Carson Wentz and the Eagles on