In order to reach the 53-man roster limit on Saturday, the Eagles parted ways with a handful of players, including OG Danny Watkins, OLB Chris McCoy, and WR Russell Shepard.
Saturday cuts: OT Michael Bamiro, OLB Everette Brown, TE Clay Harbor, OLB Travis Long, WR Greg Salas, WR Russell Shepard, S David Sims, RB Matthew Tucker, OG Danny Watkins
Of the nine cuts, Bamiro, Shepard, Long, and Tucker are the only ones the Eagles might be interested in stashing on the practice squad. Danny Watkins’ Eagles career can officially go in the books as a monumental failure after GM Howie Roseman made him a first round pick.
- TE Emil Igwenagu – A short, squatty tight end, Igwenagu stole a roster spot from the more heralded Clay Harbor. The coaching staff reportedly likes Igwenagu’s blocking skills, but he will have to make his mark on special teams, not on offense. He has the versatility to play fullback in a pinch in case Chip Kelly wants to throw a different look at a defense.
- WR Jeff Maehl – The fifth receiver job figured to come down to either Russell Shepard or Greg Salas, who each flashed in training camp and the preseason. Jeff Maehl, one of Chip Kelly’s receivers at Oregon, came out of nowhere to win a job because of his special teams prowess and versatility to play both the outside and slot receiver spots.
- ILB Casey Matthews – Matthews has proven that he isn’t a starter in the NFL and was outplayed by both Jake Knott and Emmanuel Acho in the preseason. He sticks on the roster because he can play all four linebacker spots in a pinch and contribute on special teams.
- CB Curtis Marsh – The Eagles kept six corners on the roster, including both Marsh and Brandon Hughes. After showing nothing in their first few seasons in the league, they should consider themselves lucky to have made the 53-man roster.
- OG Matt Tobin – Along with ILB Jake Knott and DL Damion Square, Tobin is the third undrafted rookie to make the team. He’s the team’s ninth offensive lineman, but the organization gave no indication that they preferred him over the likes of Danny Watkins, Dennis Kelly, or Michael Bamiro.
More complete roster breakdowns coming soon…
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Eagles Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Eagles Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Philadelphia Eagles news.
- Eagles Bring Back Wide Out Markus Wheaton, Place TE Richard Rodgers on IR on
- Report: Eagles Chatting with a Couple High Profile Free Agent Running Backs on
- Contact Us on
- Pass Rusher Connor Barwin Wants Back with the Eagles in 2019 on
- Miles Sanders the Feature Back in 2019 for the Eagles? Not So Fast on